Friday 1 October 2010

Yoga and Christianity ... uncompatible according to Albert Mohler

I noticed a blog on this subject and had to speak my mind. I'll just pop here in a moment what I stated on the Blog in response.

I am a non-sectarian spiritual studier, although I was in a church choir for 8 years and was baptised and confirmed. Funnily, I took more interest in Christianity later on alongside meditation and Tai Chi after having gone off the rails at 19 years old. So I always find it interesting to hear what a Christian purist has to say on the matter. I'm one of those people that can't help but get in to a theological discussion with the street sermon guy, because I can often hear all kinds of contradiction.

In short there are many things said that I won't go in to quoting, you can follow the link in the title if you want to see the post yourself. But this is what I thought about the matter...


... Quote from Albert Mohler - “Christians are not called to empty the mind”

If Christianity is only about the word of the Bible then here are a couple of quotes that show that immersing yourself in words of the Bible alone are not what the Bible teaches.

Be still and know me” – Does this not signify letting go of unnecessary thought to better be humble – selfless and in communion with God.

Also, if the Bible is the exact Word of God, how come it’s been changed so many times. I know this is a very direct thing to say, and I know some won’t agree with that point fully, but I think it’s important to read the translations done by a human with a sense of direct communion with God to help discern the true meaning.
This communion doesn’t come from just reading, it comes from being free of a sense of pride and self.

Thou shalt not worship idols” – Words are as much idols as are images, they are a frame of reference and limited in what they can do. To attach too much to words is to forget about getting a direct experience of God.

I could quote further but it’s all in there for the keen eye. Even the prophet Daniel, who was said to be praised by God, was said to have meditated.

Yoga is a way to strengthen the body to help stabilise the mind. To help boost concentration. Why shouldn’t one look after the body, it doesn’t mean one must grow attached to it in the process of taking care of it. To put the body 1st over spiritual development and serving all beings is a mistake yes, one we won’t overcome until we realise our true nature. Sacrificing health doesn’t prevent attachment to it.
I’m sure all realised saints throughout history, didn’t abuse their bodies unnecessarily ...

I think that pretty much covers it. Let me know your thoughts : ))

_________________________________________________________________________

Matthew is a man saved by the very teachings he shares. Giving him a huge zeal and drive for sharing the teachings that worked for him. Many of these teachings were taught to him directly by a Head Disciple of a Grand Master of Holistic Health Arts; like Tai Chi, Qigong and Meditation.  He is also a long time musician and alongside being a teacher/practitioner of holistic development and meditation; drums, does backing vocals and manages the band Brothers Grimmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment